The Housing Navigator will locate housing for families in need of housing, many of whom will have multiple barriers, including, but not limited to conditions that affect their health. The goal is to provide support for families while they work towards securing stable housing. This position will work in tandem with the other community partners to help families build their independent living skills so they are able to maintain permanent housing and will provide connections to community resources.
Position: Housing Navigator
Work Hours: 7:30 A.M. & 5:30 P.M.
Monthly Salary Range: $4,854-$5,900
Supervisor: Asst Director of Rental Assistance
Final Filing Date: Open Until Filled
An official Housing Authority application form must be submitted to Human Resources Department by the final filing date. Incomplete applications cannot be revised after the final filing date. Resumes may be submitted as additional information only. Applications are available online at hacsj.com or at 2575 Grand Canal Blvd., Stockton, CA 95203 and may be submitted by mail, in person, by email to email@example.com or by Fax to (209) 460-5117.
1. Applicants’ qualifications will be evaluated and applicants who clearly appear to be qualified in terms of job prerequisites are eligible to be invited to an interview. Examples of acceptable combinations of education, training and experience include:
• 8 years experience may be substituted for a BA degree.
• 4 years experience may be substituted for an AA degree.
• The length of a training and/or certificate program may be substituted on a 2:1 exchange of months attended for experience (2 months attendance equals 1 month of experience.)
2. Quality ranking factors will be knowledge and ability, education, training and/or experience, and required skills necessary for successful job performance. Candidates will be rated on these and other factors and must receive a majority of acceptable ratings and an average rating of 70 or better to qualify for ranking.
3. The final selection of candidates to fill these vacancies shall be made by the Executive Director from among those recommended, in accordance with the evaluation of the candidates relative to the needs of the Authority. An eligible/promotional list (if applicable to the posted position) may be established. However, when there are less than three (3) names on the list, or the list has been in place for over one (1) year, or when it is necessary to modify the position description, the Executive Director may require a new list.
Essential Duties and Job Functions
- Locate and obtain housing for families who meet the criteria for the Housing Choice Voucher program.
- Work with client to prepare a personalized housing plan so it fits the client and their family’s needs.
- Help the client to become document ready to prepare for a successful housing application through the acquisition of identification, income, verifications, and other required documents.
- This position will help clients fill out rental applications and, if necessary, attend interviews with the client with other service providers as well as prospective landlords.
- Assists clients in housing search, providing advocacy, and coaching to facilitate positive and productive landlord/tenant relationships.
- Assist client in maintaining compliance with lease and program requirements.
- Establishes working relationships with landlords within the community partners.
- Reviews and negotiates lease agreements with landlords/property managers and conducts unit site visits.
- Acts as an advocate and negotiator for individuals with poor credit and poor housing histories, in order to obtain permanent housing or prevent individuals from losing housing.
- Stay abreast of CA State landlord-tenant law, screening laws and procedures, and other appropriate laws and ordinances pertaining to housing regulation.
- Extensive record-keeping, data entry, and documentation of services as required by the grant.
- Attend meetings to share resources, information, and housing challenges.
- Enter data into the Homeless Management Information System.
- Performs other duties as required including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, and balance the workload.
Job Competencies and Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each competency satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job competencies.
- Ability to build supportive and respectful working relationships with individuals who are diagnosed with a mental illness that instill hope and promotes self-determination.
- Ability to use conflict-resolution skills to de-escalate volatile situations with families.
- Ability to work effectively with a team of other professionals and coordinate services/activities with each member, as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a calm demeanor.
- Capacity to set priorities in the presence of conflicting needs in consultation with supervisor
- Strong self-awareness and sense of limitations.
- Appropriate professional and personal boundaries with high integrity along with the ability to always maintain professional attitude and appearance.
- Proven ability to work independently and as an effective and collaborative member of a team.
- Knowledgeable about dynamics of homelessness and other barriers to housing low-income families.
- Familiarity with public benefits, chemical dependency, health, and social service programs in San Joaquin County
- Excellent knowledge of local housing market
- Knowledge and experience utilizing basic counseling and Motivational Interviewing (MI) techniques.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Work, Psychology, or related field
- Minimum three-year experience of working with the homeless, preferably families with young children, people who are dually diagnosed, or living with substances.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
- Must have a valid California Driver’s License with a driving history acceptable to the Authority’s insurer.