OPEN JOB POSTING
September 19, 2022
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Construction, the Maintenance Worker performs general manual and limited semi-skilled and/or unskilled work in the maintenance and upkeep of the Authority’s buildings and/or grounds. The incumbent is responsible for performing a variety of custodial, maintenance, and grounds keeping tasks. The individual will operate simple hand tools and small motorized equipment such as stripping machines and power mowers. Instructions are specific in nature on all but previously learned tasks, and work is subject to review for quality upon completion.
Are you an inquisitive, organized professional who enjoys a fast-paced environment and gets satisfaction from collaborating with others? If you are detail oriented, cooperative, and precise in your work, keep reading because the Compliance Supervisor role might be perfect for you!
We are NOT looking for someone who keeps their head down and minds their own business— in fact; we want your natural curiosity to motivate you to dig deep for answers! We need someone who will carefully weigh all the available information to help the department maintain program compliance with HUD regulations.
We Are Not Your Average Government Agency We
We Challenge Ourselves to Innovate
We Welcome New Ideas
Monthly 3,539-4,303 Non-exempt
Director of Construction
Essential Job Functions & Required Knowledge
Essential Job Functions
- Carries away debris for eventual disposal as instructed. Maintains grounds free of debris.
- Visually inspects hallways and common places and eliminates any obstacles to free passage and ensures that adequate lighting is always provided.
- Dig holes and trenches in preparation of work to be done by contractors or other maintenance personnel.
- Washes and waxes floor surfaces, walls, and ceilings.
- Performs superficial repairs to water closets and drains, usually consisting of unplugging them and freeing them for normal use.
- Lifts, loads, and unloads heavy objects, such as stoves and refrigerators, into and out of trucks.
- Reports any unsafe or hazardous conditions encountered or observed on or in any Authority property or building.
- Uses a variety of small hand tools and implements such as rakes, shovels, brooms, mops, pliers, hedge clippers, power mowers, vacuum cleaners, etc.
- Assists department staff where and when needed. This may include assisting with lifting, loading and unloading heavy objects such as stoves and refrigerators into and out of vehicles.
- Mows lawns, prunes trees and shrubbery to maintain a neat and healthy condition and appearance, including fertilizing when needed.
- Performs general cleaning of housing units and Authority facilities.
- Performs other duties as required including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload
Required Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of building and grounds maintenance practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, tools, and materials used in building maintenance and repair and grounds keeping.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and applicable safety precautions of the assigned work.
- Ability to operate gasoline-driven equipment such as, but not limited to, power mowers and light trucks.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, residents, contractors, and the public.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to lift heavy objects such as refrigerators or ranges into and out of trucks or other
carriers with the assistance of other maintenance staff.
Communication – Employee is clear, concise, and organized in all facets of communication to fully transfer understanding. Actively listens and ability to adapt messaging. Strives to communicate information with appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
Teamwork – Actively and collaboratively participates, despite personal differences, towards a common goal. Employee is open to new ideas and/or approaches. Employee is aware of changes that impact internal and external customers and effectively communicates the impact when working as a team.
Integrity – Employee is honest with oneself, coworkers, and clients. Stands up for what is right even in the face of opposition.
Safety Awareness – Employee is cognizant of his/her surroundings. Follows proper safety procedures and considers the safety of self and others. Identifies, communicates, and assists in the correction of any safety concerns where appropriate.
Reliability & Judgment – Employee demonstrates sound reasoning and critical thinking by making decisions in line with established Agency expectations. Performs work in a reliable manner that is both accurate and timely.
Minimum Education, Training, and Experience
- Graduation from high school or equivalent. Technical courses and/or training in electrical, plumbing systems, repair, and maintenance, and/or carpentry repair work is highly desirable.
- One year experience in building maintenance and/or grounds care.
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the required knowledge and abilities, may be substituted on a two for one basis.
- Ability to operate a variety of carpentry, electrical, and plumbing equipment, tools and machines.
- Ability to lift to 40 pounds from the floor to overhead or handle a variety of materials such as sinks, counter tops, solid core and metal doors, debris, floor tile, fan motors, and other HVAC parts, etc.
- Ability to work and/or inspect in wet, damp, hot, cold, or dusty places.
- Ability to stoop and kneel to gain access to work areas.
- Ability to work while standing for extended periods of time.
- Ability to handle ranges and refrigerators using appliance hand-trucks.
- Ability to move or carry objects more than 70 pounds with assistance of a hand-truck or additional person.
- Must possess and maintain an applicable California Driver’s License and a driving record acceptable to the Authority’s insurance carrier. (Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis)
Download, complete and submit the Housing Authority Job Application to the information below:
Human Resources Department
C\O Nancy Glossa
2575 Grand Canal Blvd. Suite 200
Stockton, CA 95207
For more information about HACSJ Job Opportunities, refer to our Employment Opportunities page.